CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

W is for Writing Amazon Bestsellers - #AtoZChallenge

Today is the “W” Day in the A to Z Challenge – 2016.

No surprises here. Many authors are probably going to choose writing as their “W” word. Sorry for not being more original. But, it is a good lead-in to having an Amazon Bestseller.

When my writing career started I had a story that I had developed into a screenplay. After a year and a half of work and over twenty drafts I asked my consultant what would help it sell. He told me matter-of-factly that the book would help it to sell.

I said I that I didn’t have a book. He advised me to write one. That was heartbreaking news because I wanted to get a movie produced. He shrugged his shoulders.

After I processed that idea I used the screenplay as my outline to write the book. Eighteen months later my first novel was published. That prompted another question which was posed to my editor and proofreader. I wanted to know what would help the book sell. They advised me that readers would help it, but a second and third book might help to get readers. Ouch!

So, I kept writing. By this time the characters were itching to tell another story. Now there are six novels from the Prairie Winds Golf Course setting. It wasn’t going to do me any good to have them published and converted to eBook format just to collect dust.

Book marketers were contacted. I balked at their fees. However, in the long run I decided to spend the money to advertise. The next thing I knew four of the titles reached various Amazon Bestseller lists. As an added bonus the movie scripts for Lifetime Loser and Opur’s Blade won numerous awards in Indie Film Festivals.

My stories are character-based, realistic fiction in multiple genres. Those categories include cozy mystery, sports, crime, thriller, drama, etc. Members of Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited can read my eBooks for free. Try one or two of them. I think that you’ll find that the characters are folks that you see in everyday life.

James Ross has penned several novels from the Prairie Winds Golf Course setting. The stories are character-based, cross many genres, and have become Kindle favorites. Visit his  website for detailed information, reader comments, and contact links.

No comments: