CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Realistic #Fiction – That’s What I #Amwriting - #AtoZChallenge

Today is the “R” Day in the A to Z Challenge – 2016. We’ll try realistic.

Every author has his or her comfort zone. Mine happens to be realistic fiction. I tip my hat to those that can write in the more exotic genres. My mind just doesn’t happen to operate that well when I have to write about a topic with which I am unfamiliar.

Maybe that’s because I’m a keen observer of real life. Daily living feeds me real characters on a regular basis. When my mind is operating in a setting that I can envision, placing the characters in situations that drive the story is relatively easy. I can see them in their regular gathering spot. I can hear their conversation. I can anticipate how they will react. And that’s my baby --- spreading that message to the reader.

Living in this day and age in time is an absolute blessing. We have so much going on in the world and with the media and the new forms of communication we get to read and experience all that life has to offer instantaneously. Fortunately I get to put a spin on those activities and add a little humor and irony and hypocrisy. By writing with a tongue-in-cheek style I can weave a tale that is a little off-center, but close enough to real life to make the reader question whether or not something like that could really happen.

With all of the “I-can’t-believe-its” that we witness on a daily basis my stories force readers to wonder if the story that they just read could actually occur or did at some point in time. Since my mind is capable of adding a twist or two a unique writing style developed. Perhaps that flair evolved from my days as a kid. I loved to read non-fiction. That led to an interest in journalism and a matter-of-fact writing style. Of course that carried on to my first book, Lifetime Loser, where I had to back fill a lot of the past in an attempt to explain the actions of the present.

At any rate, that’s the style of writing that you will get with me. The plots are structured so the reader believes that they actually could occur. The stories are rich with characters that are memorable and believable. The chapters are short and are strung together like pieces of a puzzle. I don’t tell you exactly what is going on. I force my readers to think and connect the dots. If that’s the type of material you like to read then give my writing style a try.

Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited customers can read my stories for free with a simple click. My participation in the Kindle Select program allows for their availability. A good place to start would be with the eBook bundles that I’ve put together. The pair is available on Kindle and titled - James Ross– A Young Adult Trilogy and James Ross – A Character-Based Collection. Either one would be a good place to get acquainted with my cast of recurring characters. They certainly don’t cheat life and have something going on at all times.




James Ross has penned several novels from the Prairie Winds Golf Course setting. The stories are character-based, cross many genres, and have become Kindle favorites. Visit his  website for detailed information, reader comments, and contact links.

No comments: