CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Shari’s Shot – No. 1 Crime #Fiction #Bestseller on FREE Kindle #AtoZChallenge

Today is the "S" Day in the A to Z Challenge - 2016.

Shari’s Shot surprised me. As I was writing it I thought that it would end up being an entertaining book. After the proofing and editing process was completed we went to work on the cover graphics. Since I had written the book a firm image of the main character was planted in my head. In an online search the right look caught my eye. We applied some interesting touches. The final product looked great. We nailed the cover.

That’s when I decided it was time to finally spend some marketing dollars to promote. The manuscript was converted to an eBook. I registered it in the Kindle Select program. The marketing service I used strongly suggested that I give it away for free to entice readers. Since their fee was paid I figured that I had better pay heed to the advice. The first giveaway day was impressive. Downloads of the eBook soared past the 5,000 level by late morning. I finally had readers!

Then a funny thing happened.

The attention that the title received brought a host of other marketing people out of the shadows. My Twitter accounts were bombarded with offers from other services promising numbers that would be more impressive. Since I had a few more giveaway dates left I thought they I would give them a chance as well. One in particular blew me away. On their day eBook downloads of Shari’s Shot topped 20,000 by lunchtime.

That was impressive enough to put the title into the Top 50 Overall on Amazon’s FREE Kindle. In the sub-category of Crime Fiction those numbers pushed it to the Number 1 position. It happened so fast that I didn’t have a chance to take a screenshot of the success. I wouldn’t make that mistake on my other titles that were promoted.

What is Shari’s Shot about? The mid-life itch hits Shari, the wife of a self-made St. Louis real estate mogul. Her affair leads to divorce proceedings. However her lover isn’t keeping a secret very well. His live-in is suspicious of his infidelities and doesn’t want to let him go. To complicate the situation Shari’s husband, Tyler Cy, doesn’t want to let her go either.

Then a boyfriend that Shari had earlier in her marriage turns up dead from a gunshot wound in a carpool parking lot while waiting to join golfing buddies.

Two detectives go to work. Shari’s country club life is not altered even though the membership is cancelled. Her spoiled disposition allows her lifestyle to continue and Tyler’s Cy’s money derails the investigation. Then a break in the case changes the scenery. There’s no need to ruin the ending. 

Feel free to read the Amazon reviews. Right now there are over 50 with a 4.2 star rating. The story is entertaining and full of twists and turns. Members of Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited can download the eBook for free. Give Shari’sShot a try!


James Ross has penned several novels from the Prairie Winds Golf Course setting. The stories are character-based, cross many genres, and have become Kindle favorites. Visit his  website for detailed information, reader comments, and contact links.

No comments: