CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Writing Novels Can Be a Great Release for Political Opinion

You do not need to be a seasoned politician with a well-rehearsed stump speech in order to express your opinion concerning current events and the decisions being made by our lawmakers. There was an endless supply of protest songs recorded during the Vietnam War, with the topic of war and peace becoming a popular topic again for songwriters in the past few years. Movie and television stars often use the honor of winning an award for espousing their political views from the podium. The same opportunity for expression holds true for authors.

In my three novels, I have used my characters to express a conservative perspective on a wide range of hot issues. There is prominent distrust of big government that is expressed my many of my characters, from the federal government’s desire to impose an ever-increasing tax burden to local officials who go to extremes with their small sphere of power. The government is repeatedly portrayed as an entity that causes more problems, not a body that can bring about effective solutions. With this in mind, I have to wonder—would any of the men and women in my books have participated in the recent “tea parties,” which protested the growing reach of the federal government? I have a feeling that a few of them would have been front and center with a bullhorn.

I hope you will read my three books, Lifetime Loser, Finish Line, and Tuey’s Course, all of which have the Prairie Winds Golf Course as a primary backdrop. Then, let me know what you think of my characters’ political opinions. Do you agree with the perspectives that were shared? What do you think some of the clubhouse regulars would have to say about some of the recent decisions made by government? I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: