CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Top Five Tips for Fellow Writers

With three published novels to my credit—Lifetime Loser, Finish Line, and Tuey’s Course—and a fourth book on its way towards release, I believe that I have learned some valuable lessons about the writing and publishing process. With each book, I have built on the experiences, both good and bad, that I had with the previous novels. In addition to my own time spent in trial and error, I also have learned so much from other authors I have had the opportunity to meet during this journey.

I spent some time thinking about the advice that I can offer based on my time in the writing and publishing world, and would like to share what I believe to be the most important tips here:

1. Write about your passions – Your work will come across as the most authentic if you focus on what really grabs you. For me, it’s golf. I love the game of golf and I hope that comes across in the characters I’ve created in my books.

2. Network, network, network – You never know when you will meet someone who will want to help in the publicity of your book or who is connected to a group that would be naturally inclined to your subject matter.

3.Accept criticism – There are plenty of online writers’ forums and other venues through which you can get people to tell you that your work is wonderful. That serves no purpose other than to boost your ego. Find peers who will read your book and tear it apart until it reaches its full potential.

4.Do something every day – You need to be your best advocate when it comes to your books. There is a way that you can promote your work every day. It could be as simple as a call to the local book store. Make a list of ideas and keep crossing them off.

5.Learn social media – There are countless opportunities for authors that weren’t available just five years ago. If you don’t have accounts already, get connected with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other tools. You can use these sites to share your blog postings, book signings, new releases, and so much more.

I hope you find these tips helpful. What do you think? Are there other pieces of advice that you have learned from your own writing experience? Let us know!

No comments: