CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ann Coulter vs. The Single Mom

For those who have read my three published novels--Lifetime Loser, Finish Line, and Tuey's Course--you know that I address quite a few controversial issues through my writing. While the commonality that exists between all of my books may be golf and the backdrop of the Prairie Winds Golf Course, my work has tackled subjects as diverse as racism, gambling, alcoholism, cancer, and sexuality. In my upcoming release, Opur's Blade, I will be returning to a topic to which I already devoted some attention in Finish Line--the effect of "broken families" on our children and their emotional development.

Knowing that the topic of single parenthood causes debates of great emotion, I was certain that a quick search would find some high-profile commentators who have offered their thoughts on this sociological issue. Sure enough, I discovered an interview with one of the most controversial figures in the media, Ann Coulter, in which she shares some very strong opinions on single moms.

During an interview on the Today show last year, Coulter declared that single motherhood was "a recipe to create criminals, strippers, rapists, murderers." This belief was shared as part of the book she was promoting entitled Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America. As you might imagine, the backlash was swift and it was strong. With single mothers being created from a variety of circumstances--divorce, by choice, death, one-night stands--it seems that it would be difficult to place such a condemning future on all children in one-parent households.

What do you think of Ann Coulter's assertion? Do single moms create a greater risk of producing criminals as children? Is she just trying to be sensational in order to sell books? Let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

Cliff Ball said...

Just Jogging on through for Blog Jog.

I'm a Conservative, but, I think Ann Coulter is an idiot. I've dated a couple of women who were divorced and had kids, but, their children were well behaved and raised really well. Single mothers that I know have a really strong family(parents, siblings) behind them when they need help, so their children don't grow up to be criminals. There are plenty of criminals with 2 parent households. Coulter seems to make all these blanket statements hoping that one of them will stick. Sometimes the best thing to do is to keep quiet. My $.02 cents.

Have a great Blog Jog.

mike rousseau said...

Its dangerous to start lumping people together in generalizations.
Just as many criminals come from two parent well adjusted families then from single parent families. Comes to Ann C. she likes attention to much and will say what it takes to get it.

Arielle Hardt said...

As usual, Coulter spews her ignorant opinions as if they are fact. Her books are the same way. What shocks me more is that the Today show would have her on. I have just lost all regard for the Today show!

I was raised by a single mother who sacrificed a lot to put me through private schools. I became the first person in my family to attend (let alone complete) college. Although I started with my major in Physics I switched and graduated with a degree in business administration - but I work in satellite technology now.

She couldn't be further from the truth. One of my professor's along the way admitted that he was a child of a welfare mother! He was one of the best economics professors I had.