CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 15, 2010

Tiger Woods to Face the South Park Treatment


Is there any other figure who is a more obvious choice for a comedic attack when the 14th season of South Park premieres later this week than Tiger Woods? Creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone certainly don't think so. The same animated program that has taken on Tom Cruise, President George W. Bush, Sally Struthers, David Hasselhoff, and even Jesus Christ, is now aiming its focus on the disgraced golfer.

In a released statement that may contain just a hint of sarcasm, Stone said, "It's such an important issue right now--the sex addiction outbreak. We're all really concerned about him and hopes he gets better." Somehow I doubt that the episode featuring Woods, which will air on March 17, will offer much sympathy and encouragement for healing! Not much has been revealed about what will take place when Tiger Woods visits South Park, but I have the feeling that the infamously loud-mouthed Cartman will not be sensitive to his plight.

Although my chosen outlet is not crudely-drawn animation, I also take an irreverent approach towards my offerings of social commentary. I don't think anyone will ever accuse my books of being politically correct. Instead, I like the opportunities that honest and sometimes ugly portrayals of human nature create for discussion and personal reflection. When we tiptoe around some of the stereotypes and difficult subjects that exist in our society, I believe we are doing ourselves a disservice.

What do you think of the type of humor offered by South Park? Is it a smart commentary on our society, or just simply offensive? How do you think the show will handle the Tiger Woods scandal?

1 comment:

Penny Ehrenkranz said...

I have mixed emotions about the humor portrayed in South Park. Sometimes I love it, other times not so much. I can't begin to imagine how they will handle the Tiger Woods situation.